Lyman High School's namesake, Howard Charles Lyman, and his wife, Emma Abbot Lyman, first arrived in the area in the early 1900s. They were invited by former Congressman Charles Haines to winter in Florida at his retreat along Lake Orienta. Soon, the couple became actively involved in the political and social aspects of the community.
A few years after Seminole County separated from Orange County, the Lymans and other Altamonte residents voted to incorporate the Town of Altamonte Springs on November 11, 1920. Later, Howard Lyman was elected to the county School Board. He helped organize mass meetings to discuss building a new school after several parents voiced concerns over inadequate education and the lack of a decent school for their children. Five days before the issue was voted on, Howard Lyman died.
The Lyman School opened in 1924, and was named in his honor. It served white students from Altamonte Springs, Longwood, and Forest City. Black students attended the Rosenwald School, which opened in 1931.
Significant Dates in Lyman History
1924 - The Lyman School opens on the site of what is currently Milwee Middle School.
1963 - Lyman is formed as a four-year high school. Carlton D. Henley becomes principal.
1965 - Lyman receives its electronic scoreboard, used in the Tangerine Bowl in 1962, from the Coca-Cola Company.
1966 - Black students attend Lyman High School for the first time after it is integrated.
1970 - Lyman moves to its current campus, just down the road from its old campus.
Principal Carlton Henley retires after 31 years as principal. Dr. Peter Gorman becomes the second principal of Lyman High School.
1996 - LHS establishes a home page
on the World Wide Web
Feb Class of 1970 Lyman High was started
by Larry Brewer and Karl Williamson